Making the Most of a Google Search
Searching the internet can be a long and frustrating process. Understanding how a particular search engine works can change a blind search into an intelligent search. A popular search engine is Google which can be found at www.Google.com .
The Basics of Googling http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
· try obvious keywords first
· make keywords specific, only use a few keywords
· use quotation marks to identify several keywords as one phrase
· use + to require that a keyword is included and – to exclude results containing a keyword
· capitalization is not required
· searching within categories is available at http://directory.google.com/
Advanced Googling http://www.google.com/advanced_search
require or exclude words, search for an exact phrase
· specify number of results, file format, date, domain
· conduct a filtered SafeSearch
read the title and description of each result, view pages that
best match your question first
· right click hyperlinks on the search result page and select “Open in New Window” so that the search results page can be displayed along with several other web pages
· preview several web pages before spending much time on any one web page
· search within a category to find more specific results
· avoid ads and links to web sites that are not useful to your search
· don’t waste time on a futile search, ask for help if needed
Evaluating Content Usefulness
Was enough information found to answer all questions?
· Is the reading level appropriate?
· Can you re-phrase the information in your own words?
Evaluating Content Validity
Identify and consider:
Back to BASD Educational Technology .