BASD ACT 48 PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION PLAN
2007 - 2008
|Activities Reported to PDE by Bellefonte Area School District|
|Activities Reported to PDE by Outside Providers|
|For more information about Act 48|
1. Act 48 of 1999 requires that professional educators complete 180 continuing education credit hours every five years. Act 48 hours may only be reported to Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) by: School Districts, Intermediate Units, PDE Approved Providers and nationally accredited colleges/universities.
2. PDE requires that Act 48 credits/hours align with at least one of the following:
a. Kind of certificate held
b. Teaching assignment
c. Content or pedagogy contributing to improved instruction
d. School leadership/administrative studies
3. For classroom teachers, school counselors, and educational specialists, PDE requires that Act 48 activities focus on at least one of the following:
a. Enhancing the educator's content knowledge
b. Increasing the educator's teaching skills
c. Providing the educator with a variety of classroom-based assessment skills and the skills needed to analyze and use data in instructional decision-making
d. Empowering the educator to work effectively with parent and community partners
4. For school and district administrators and other educators seeking leadership roles, PDE requires that Act 48 activities focus on at least one of the following:
a. Providing the educator with the knowledge and skills to think and plan strategically
b. Providing the educator with the ability to access and use appropriate data to inform decision making
c. Empowering leaders to create a culture of teaching and learning
d. Instructing the leader in managing resources for effective results.
5. PDE will not permit Act 48 credit/hours to be earned through participation in the following types of activities:
6. Table 1: Activities Reported to PDE by Bellefonte Area School District and Table 2: Activities Reported to PDE by Outside Providers, describe how Act 48 hours are to be reported to ensure successful crediting of the hours earned by professional educators in the Bellefonte Area School District to the PA Department of Education.
· Participants will receive a letter of “completion” for any hours reported by Bellefonte Area School District to the PA Department of Education.
Activities Reported to PDE by BASD
|1. District provided in-service or professional development programs and activities that align with district's approved Professional Education Plan||
a. Attendees must sign the Act 48 Attendance Sheet (and sign out only if the end time is different than the time listed at the top of the form).b. A signed evaluation must be completed at the conclusion of the program/activity.
Formalized curriculum alignment project
Formalized committee to develop district benchmarks and core assessments
Formalized curriculum review committee
Formalized school improvement committee
Data analysis team training
Effective and engaging instructional practices training
Meeting the needs of diverse learners training
a. Sign the attendance sheet provided by an administrator or committee chair.
b. Complete and sign an evaluation at the committee’s last meeting.c. Committee chair submits attendance sheets, evaluations, and a copy of the committee’s final product within 15 days of completion
Induction Program participation
Effective mentoring training
a. Sign the attendance sheet provided at each meeting.b. Complete and sign the year-end program evaluation.
Bellefonte Area School District will not be reporting
Act 48 hours to PDE as described below:
Activities Reported to PDE by Outside Provider
|In-state college or university||
The college or university is responsible for reporting earned Act 48 hours to PDE. Each institution has its own method for submitting hours. The professional must initiate the Act 48 reporting by the institution.
(The district is not permitted to report hours earned at a college or university.)
|Out-of-state college or university||
The professional educator must submit an official college-sealed transcript with a cover letter to: Department of Education, Division of Professional Education and Planning, 333 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333.
(The district is not permitted to report hours earned at an out-of-state college or university.)
|Central Intermediate Unit 10 and other intermediate units||
CIU 10 and all other intermediate units report all Act 48 hours to PDE.
(The district is not permitted to report hours earned through an intermediate unit.)
|Conferences, workshops, seminars sponsored by entities other than the Bellefonte Area School District||
PDE Approved Act 48 Providers must report all Act 48 hours to PDE.
(The district is not permitted to report hours earned at a conference, workshop, etc. that is sponsored by another Act 48 provider.)
6. For more information:
a. If you have questions about Act 48 reporting contact:
· Dr. Cathy Brachbill, Director of Curriculum and Instruction (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Laurie Hancock, Administrative Assistant (email@example.com)
b. To check total Act 48 hours reported to PDE:
e. Act 48 Information is also available on the PA Department of Education website at:
e. PDE Approved Providers: